Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Technical Errors

For the past week, I have had Technical Errors. Realizing that those words could also be used as an analogy for life events and given my life sometimes it would be appropriate. In this regards though, I am referring to those two words as they are truly defined...I have been having technical errors with my camera. More specifically, I stepped on my card reader. Shhh. Don't tell my husband. He bought it. And yes, there are other ways to get the pictures that are waiting ever so patiently on my Cannon to my computer but...I also lost the cord that allows me to transfer images directly from my camera. I call it a "cord thingy". I'm sure there is some technical name for it that my sweet husband would happily share with me IF I wanted to tell him that I lost the thingy to start with, but I don't. So, maybe this post shouldn't not be titled Technical Error, maybe a more appropriate name would be...Erin Error.
Not to be defeated, I will instead take this opportunity to share with you a post I have been holding on to. One that includes pictures I already have stored and have been looking for an excuse to share.
If you remember, about a month ago I wrote about the article our local paper published about Eslea. In that same Sunday paper, the newspaper also printed an article about the Down syndrome support group that is forming in our area. Although Eslea's story was also linked to the newspaper’s website (Eslea: Reserved of God), the article about our support group was sadly not. Yet, as I mentioned in a previous post, I very much want you all to be able to read the article even if I have to retype the entire thing myself. And well, since I am currently having Technical  Erin Errors, it would be the perfect time.
Oh and just a warning, try not to cringe when the wording "Down syndrome children" is used. Just letting you know.

(Legal mumbo first:
The following was published in the Valdosta Daily Times on Sunday March 20, 2011. Copyright is the property of that publication.)

"Sharing Joys, Struggles"
by Elizabeth Butler
Valdosta Daily Times
Print Date: March 20, 2011

            Valdosta- What started as three moms getting together for play dates with their Down syndrome children in the last year has grown to adding several new families to the mix.
            "We want to involve even more people in our area who want to have the support that we have,” said Donna Johnson, one of the founding moms of the Down Syndrome Association of South Georgia. Other moms meeting to form the support group are Polly chase, Jennifer Gay, Erin Kelly Gaskins, Rebekah Odell-Matheson, Amy Reaves and Emily Smith.
            "It is so much easier traveling this path with others than alone," said Polly, whose 3-year-old daughter, Emily, has Down syndrome. "Positive support is key."
            Donna Johnson said she never even gave the words Down syndrome much thought before Kaitlyn was born. “Having my daughter, Kaitlyn, three years ago certainly has defined my life and reshaped it in ways I never knew possible,” she said. “I want people to know that our family is just like every other family. We do all the same things we did before she was born.”
            Donna built a network by talking on the Internet with other moms first. “I was able to find some other moms here through a general special needs support group,” she said. “We enjoy the time we get to spend together. These moms understand my joys and struggles of raising a child with DS.”
            Donna said there is a need for a locally run support group related directly to DS because the closest groups are in places such as Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Albany and Macon.
            “We want information and educational opportunities to exist for these new parents right her in our area as well as education and receiving support form our community,” she said. “I certainly know that the friendships I have made her locally are invaluable and I am proud to call them my friends. I feel very fortunate to be raising my daughter in a community as loving as this one. I am proud to have my daughter as on e of the faces of Down syndrome and am proud to be a supporter and advocate for those who voices are least heard.”
            Anyone interested in being a part of the DSA of S. GA can email Donna at kjanddonnna@bellsouth.net or Erin at eleak16@yahoo.com.
            “We are planning to meet on Saturday mornings,” Erin Gaskins said. “Our website and blog can be found at www.southgeorgiadsa.org”.
            Erin’s daughter, Eslea, turns 6 months old on Monday, World Down Syndrome Day. “World Down Syndrome Days 2011 is actually on March 21, but we had a celebration Saturday at McKey Park,” Erin said.
            Balloons were released to honor children, friends, and relatives who have Down syndrome. The party was held to “celebrate differences in all people” she said.
According to Erin, “World Down Syndrome Day is an idea from Down Syndrome International as a way for the voice of those with Down syndrome to be heard. The goal is for everyone to become aware of the contributions a person with Down Syndrome can make to our world.”
            Polly Chase advises new parents of Down syndrome children to “learn all you can about Down syndrome. You will be amazed at what you learn. Think positively and believe in your child. He or she will surprise you beyond your wildest dreams. I always like to say Emily has Down syndrome, but Down syndrome doesn’t have Emily.”
            Those who want to learn more about Down Syndrome can go to the following:
http://www.ndss.org/ (National Down Syndrome Society)
www.southgeorgiadsa.org (Down Syndrome Association of South Georgia)
            Amy Reeves is the mother of two children, including 3-year-old Lily with Down syndrome: “I want the same things for Lily that I do for Silas”, she said. “I want for her to love Christ, be respectful, kind and thoughtful to others and to have all the opportunities in life that other children have. I would not change a thing about my sweet girl; Lily is exactly who God intended her to be.”
            Jennifer Gay agrees with that assessment about her 1-year-old son: “Griffin has shown me that the things in life that I thought were so important are really not important at all. His beautiful blue eyes and sweet smile make my day. He has shown me the true definition of determination as he worked so hard to sit, crawl and pull up to stand. He has taught me that I no longer need to sit back and enjoy each precious minute. First and foremost, Griffin is a child like any other. Yes, he has Down syndrome, but Down syndrome doesn’t have him. He is truly my precious gift from God.”


Now, for the STARS of this post:



No comments:

Post a Comment