Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ain't too Proud to Beg (A Pass It On Post)

Beg. Plead. Beseech. Solicit.
Pick a word. Any word. I just hope you'll take the time to pass on my request.

Some of you may already be aware of this but....
Eslea and I were featured in the local newspaper this Sunday. One of the editors printed selections from Eslea's birth story along with a SECOND article about the Down Syndrome support group that some of us are starting. The article was beautiful and although most of you have already read Eslea's birth story, she did include additional material such as my views now six months later. 
Unfortunately, the newspaper did not link the articles to it's website. Such a shame because those articles took up two entire pages. In COLOR at that. Since it's not available to the general public electronically, one day this week I will post it even if I have to retype it all myself.  I want everyone to be able to read the encouraging words of my fellow support group moms (who are now family).


What you may not know is.... 
Eslea and I, along with other parents, were also on the local news Monday night to promote Down Syndrome Awareness and the new group (Down Syndrome Association of S. Ga) that we are starting.
You can view the footage here: WCTV World Down Syndrome Day Footage

Now...I am asking you all to do me a favor.
Well, technically it's two favors. So, here goes...
The only way children like my Eslea will ever truly be accepted for the value they can offer this world, is for the media to start spending more time on special needs issues.
I'm asking you to please go to both media sites and request that they do more stories on down syndrome and special needs!
PLEASE take time to compliment the story and let them know that you would love to see more!
(Remember, the story was NOT on the newspaper's website. Again, shame on them!)

(Edited 3/24/2011 to add that Eslea's story is now on the website. Here is the link Eslea:Reserved of God. Just one more article to go!)

For Valdosta Daily Times, you can send a letter to the editor by clicking here: VDT: Letter to the Editor
(You could also post something in the rant and rave, if you're feeling motivated: VDT: Rant and Rave
For WCTV, you can post a comment by following the link here: WCTV World Down Syndrome Day Footage

Oh and one more thing....PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE pass this on to your friends!
I also have the video posted on the Down Syndrome Association of South Georgia website.

Thank you for supporting not only Eslea but the millions of beautiful people just like her in this world!!
-erin

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic video - way to go, Erin! And I love that you're working to put together a regional support group - ours is like a lifeline for so many.

    I've posted my comment, and sent a letter to the editor of the newspaper! :-)

    ReplyDelete